Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Trick or Treat

When Jim died, I'd been a big sister for 38 years. It was a big part of my identity - who I am. I still get lost navigating life without being "Sis." We often get defined by the roles we have in life - daughter, big sister, girlfriend, wife, mother. The longer we spend in those roles, the stronger hold they have over how we view ourselves. Jim spent 15 years defined in part as "uncle." He was phenomenal at it. I was just learning how to add that comparable "aunt" piece to my life when he died. He was helping me along on that journey. Jim and Kate were young and totally cool when Kirsten was born. By the time Rachel and especially Jake were born, I was ancient from a kid perspective and totally uncool. BUT, I wasn't broke anymore from buying diapers and baby formula, so I decided I could buy my way into favorite aunt. Shallow, I know.

This weekend, however, I get a chance to be "Cool Aunt Judi." I'm very excited to fly out to Wisconsin for Halloween. I get to trick-or-treat with Kate and the kids. Then comes the nifty part. Totally cool Aunt Kate is meeting niece Kirsten in Chicago to belatedly celebrate K's 16th birthday. I get to be Aunt Judi for three days. I worry sometimes about staying connected and close to my niece and nephew without Jim in the picture...but that's a post for another day. Today, I'm just very grateful that I get to spend so much time with Rach & Jakers. My goal? When Kate comes home from Chicago and the asks the kids if they had fun with Aunt Judi - I want to hear some big cheers!

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Who says you're ancient and uncool?!
You may be the biggest dork in the world, but you're the coolest mom I know.
ANNDD, buying gifts for rachel and jake is an added bonus. Theres no way they wouldn't love you.

I miss you already momma! :]
haha hope your flight was okay.
-♥Kirsten

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead