Friday, September 12, 2008

We Fought Cancer…And Cancer Won.

There was a depressing and enlightening article on cancer in this week's Newsweek titled "We Fought Cancer and Cancer Won." http://www.newsweek.com/id/157548

It's a long aritcle, but worth the read. Beating cancer is like winning the lottery - most people who play never win, there's a fair number of winners of small prizes (NED less than 5 years), and very few big winners (NED 5+ years).

I'd read the studies when Jim was in treatment, but to see it again, made me so discouraged: "In the studies that led the FDA to approve Avastin, for instance, the drug prolonged life in patients with advanced colorectal cancer by a median of four months."

I also want to share a Web site that I found when Jim was sick - "Choose Hope" http://www.choosehope.com/money.jsp It's where I got our Swarovski Crystal Hope Bracelets in colon cancer blue and my Cancer Sucks baseball cap. They donate 10% of their total sales (before expenses) on a monthly basis to a variety of leading cancer research institutions. They make sure that their money goes directly to general cancer research. That way, every cancer gets a portion of their donations. It's small amounts - in August they donated $5,000 to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and a $1,000 to standup2cancer.org - but the pennies add up.

No comments:

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead