Friday, September 26, 2008

Raw wounds and scars

Many of you know that during my initial research on colon cancer two+ years ago, I found a blog on NPR called MY CANCER written by Leroy Sievers, who was fighting the "second coming" of his colon cancer. Leroy died recently from the disease and his wife, Laurie, has continued the blog. As a "griever," I'm glad she did. She's giving a public voice to "Now what happens?" Her post today was really good and addresses what I think of when people say to me "Time heals all wounds."

September 26, 2008
Healing The Giant Wound

It's this grieving stuff that's got me confused. There aren't really any rules. Granted, there's actually a book called "Grieving for Dummies." But for me that just adds insult to injury.

There are a lot of experts who can tell you how you're supposed to feel. There are groups you can join, bereavement sessions where everyone can speak about their individual pain. If you're not a "joiner," those seem a little odd.

For me, grieving is an attack on my soul, my core.

I look at it this way. It's a giant wound right now. And it's covered with a very big bandage.

As time goes on, those bandages will get smaller, until I'm left with a scar.

That scar will last my lifetime.

-- Laurie

No comments:

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead