Sunday, May 17, 2009

Lilac 10K


I love May. I've always loved May. My birthday is May 14th and Jimmy's was the 28th. It was a great month to be a kid - lots of cake and presents! When I got older, I realized that the big old lilac in my grandma's yard bloomed in May. It was so fragrant and pretty. The lilacs in Highland Park remind me of when I was young...before I knew about death. So in my journey to run the Disney Marathon in memory of Jimmy, I chose to run the Lilac 10K. Baby steps I figure will get me to 26.2 miles in January of 2011. Today was wonderful. 6.2 miles of cool and sunny; lilacs in full bloom. I teared up a bit along the route thinking about Jimmy and broke into a full blown cry after I finished. I can't imagine what I'll be like at my next step in September when I drag Jimmy's memory along with me for 13.1 miles at the Rochester Half-Marathon. I hope I cross the finish line just like today - hoping he was proud of me...his overweight 44 year-old sister dragging her butt out to do the impossible to honor his memory.

This is the photo on my running shirt.

No comments:

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead