Thursday, December 13, 2007

Snow!

I laced up the running shoes today for a short run. There was a steady snowfall and it was just so peaceful and beautiful outside. I love running in the snow. As I ran, I thought about Jim the entire 3.5 miles. Jimmy loved the snow. As kids, one of the few things that could bring us together to play without bickering was fresh snow. We'd play for hours together in the backyard in the fresh snow - many times with our dog Charlie. We'd come inside and Mom would make us cocoa. Today's run was a peace-filled one. I took Kai with me. I miss Jimmy terribly, but this morning running in the snow, I felt as if he was there with me - enjoying the snow, the quiet, the peace.
Today's snowfall in our backyard
I found a poem about the snow I really liked. It was posted with permission on the Web site I found it on. I just gave credit where credit was due.

Snow

Snow falling. Fallen snow.
Night windless, roadways white.
White the branches and the earth.
The special silence of a snowy night
Stopping what we ordinarily do.
We feel no need, the whiteness is enough.
Were we lonely? We are no more.
Here's a peace that's free of cloying,
This calming plainness over all.

What mystery is unfolding here?
How does the innocence of season,
Mere concurrence of the elements,
Bring hope? Because the rain has chilled?

But it also covers death, the fallen,
Guilt. Jars memory. Melts.
And it will turn to filth.
Here is winter after all, the grave
Of growing-and the poor are cold.

Still promises are stirring,
Resolution's aura swells.
While the moment's white and still,
We will survive. Though brief
The respite, whatever ails us will
Stand aside. While snowing, while quiet.

10/8-ll/24/95, 2/10-2/13/98, 12/18/06
Copyright 1995, 2006 by Maurice Leiter

2 comments:

Jeri said...

Yes I know..I want to drag Christmas out as long as I possibly can!!! Every year we get our tree at that time and it lasts at least till Christmas!!! Home Depot buys them a week before they sell them!!!! I have the best memories of Jimmy this time of year...snow forts,playing out in the snow way past dark,cookies....Gosh I miss him!!! How are you doing?? It has to be so hard for you all. Give Aunt Janet and Uncle Jim my love!! What do you guys plan on doing this Christmas...maybe we can get together somehow? I know we are all crazy busy but it would sure be nice to see you guys!! If we don't see you have a happy Christmas and know Jimmy is there with you!!! Love you and pray for you all every night....Jeri

melissa said...

Nice picture of the yard but boy is your yard pretty at night too, with the lights on the fence! You are awesome for running in this weather! Running does help you to have peace of mind, I hope it continues to provide that for you. Not to mention you are already the skinnest 40-something on this stretch of road. I'm just jealous, of course. Thinking of you! Miss

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead