Friday, June 13, 2008

My oldest turns 16 today

Jim and Kirsten - June 1992

Funny...I was just remembering Jimmy's 16th birthday and today Kirsten turned 16. I think back to what Jim & I were each like at 16. One thing is for certain - we thought we were pretty invincible. As long as you didn't get in a car with a stranger or someone who'd been drinking, you'd live forever. Such simple rules we lived by. The world gets so much more complicated as we grow up. Okay, well the world's always complicated, but at 16 it doesn't seem to be.

I feel for my mom and dad today. I look at Kirsten and want her to dream big and go for it. I know my parents felt the same for Jimmy and me. Looking at the photo of Jimmy's 16th, never in a million years would I have imagined those dreams ending so soon. I look into Kirsten's face and can't see her future any more clearly than I saw Jim's. But I send up wishes to the heavens for health and happiness.

Today's happiness is pretty simple - the new M. Night Shyamalan with Mom (me) and her friend Roya. Then a sleepover. Life is good for her today, and that's all I can ask for.

Happy 16th Birthday Kirsten. Love - Momma

No comments:

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead