Thursday, January 31, 2008

Why does exercise have to be so hard???

I feel like I'm not exactly a slacker in the exercise department. I get out for a run every two or three days. I can run 5 miles in under an 11 min/mile pace (under 10 min/mile if I'm racing). That said, I'll admit I run because I'm lazy and full of excuses.

I've figured out, at least for me, there aren't any barriers to running. It's raining? I've got a Gortex rain jacket and I've been caught in the cold rain before on a run and I didn't melt. It's hot? I've got a water bottle to carry with me and I know that I've run in sunny, 90-degree weather and, again, I didn't melt. It's snowing? I've got warm clothes and I know I warm up within five minutes if the temp is at least in the teens. I'm in Sheboygan? Well, they have roads to run on there too. With running, there's no starting up the car, driving to the gym, no legitimate reason why I can't run - anywhere, anytime. Okay - there's one reason why I won't run outside and it's the gale-force winds we get here in the wintertime - it's like cartoon-character running trying to run into it. It must be quite humorous to watch. But...I have a treadmill, so even that isn't an excuse to totally skip the run.

Now I find out, that's not enough. Seems that I'm "unstable" (that would be physically, although I also wonder about mental instability at times!) and it's causing pain when I run over longer distances. I have to cross-train and do ankle-strengthening exercises. Good lord, don't these people know I'm not a real athlete and I'm basically lazy at heart? Don't give me any barriers - even low ones, or I'll be sitting on the couch eating bon-bons.

I know the running is good for me. I have high-blood pressure, heart disease, and now cancer in my immediate family. And I'll fess up that I do enjoy it once I'm actually out the door and committed to going. So for now, I'm off to physical therapy twice a week and trying to do my exercises at home. I even signed up for a beginners' Pilates class once a week. No bon-bons yet - - but those doctors better not push it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No you're not lazy! Anyone who exercises regularly is anything but lazy!My running days are long over-too many injuries. I walk regularly however. Typically outdoors (even in inclement weather-I don't melt either!)but sometimes on my treadmill as well. I find that I exercise at a more natural pace outdoors. With the digital readout in front of me on the treadmill I become very competitive with myself and my joints remind me of my foolishness for days afterward.

I'm no athlete. There is no sport I could ever compete in. I was always the last chosen in gym class and an intramural track coach once said that I ran "like a drunken sailor". But I'm not lazy! I am motivated to feel lighter and healthier. I like that I've worn the same size since age 30. I like the effects of the endorphins and suspect I have a slight addiction to them.

You're not lazy! You are strong and motivated and healthy (albeit a bit unstable:))!

Concerning the PT-I've been that route and not convinced that it helped. In the end, for me, I had to admit that I needed to take it a little easier. After age 40 my body, particularly my joints, needed a new game plan. I've learned to workout as hard as I can when I'm feeling good and to slow down or even rest a few days when my body demands.

I also do a little yoga. I've learned that I have to be careful there also-it's tougher on my hips and knees than it looks.

My God, reading over this it sounds like I'm 80 years old! Aging is a drag. A friend of my mom's once said that her 40s were the best time of her life. I think she was full of s%#*. I would love to have my 30 year old body back (not really, I was pregnant with Mindi then). Ah youth.....

Good luck with your ankles and don't be afraid to rest-I doesn't mean that your lazy, just that you're listening to your body!

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead