Sunday, February 03, 2008

All needs to be fair with Easter Baskets...

When I was a kid, I had a pretty little Easter Basket. The bunny filled it quite nicely and it was small enough for EB to hide in some pretty good spots Easter morning. Then Jimmy came along. There must've been a surplus on basket weaving materials that year because his basket was HUGE! It was at least twice the size of mine. And he never let me forget it. I'm sure EB was fair, but boy, I was sure envious of that big old basket Jimmy had.

Easter 1975 in our outfits made by Grandma Swayne

Fast forward to 2003. I'm very excited that I'm going to be an Aunt. (I think I was more excited to be an Aunt than a parent!) I get invited to one of those Longaberger basket parties and spend about $100 on a gorgeous Easter basket for my soon-to-be niece. No teeny, tiny, made in China basket for my niece. Her basket wasn't quite as big as her Daddy's, but it was much bigger than the one Aunt Judi had.


Fast forward a little more to June 2006. I'm thrilled to be an Aunt again.
"Jim, I want to buy Jake a Longaberger Easter basket like I did for Rachel."
"Okay Jude, that'd be great."
(Note that it's June and Easter won't be rolling around again until the following April.)

Fast forward to right before Easter 2007.
"Hi Jude, are you buying Jake an Easter basket? We just wanted to check because we'll get him one if you aren't. It's okay either way, just let me know."
"OH CRAP! Yes, I want to buy him one. I'll have it by the time I get out there in two weeks for Easter. I promise."
I scramble to bid on Longaberger Easter baskets on eBay. Whew - I got one that looks really cute. Different from Rachel's, but it looks good. I arrive in Kohler about the same time as the basket. It's tiny compared to Rachel's. My heart falls...my nephew can't spend every Easter envious of his sister's Easter basket, but I'm sort of stuck at this point.

Well, Aunt Judi just made good on her obsessive need for all to be fair in the world of Easter baskets. I bought Jake the exact same Longaberger Easter basket as Rachel on eBay yesterday. Hers is whitewashed and his is brown, but the basket is the same. YEAH! Let the chocolate bunny fest begin!

No comments:

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead