Thursday, February 14, 2008

Conversations I missed

These are three conversations I wasn't able to have with Jim.

Me "Hey, guess what? Your nephew signed up for wrestling! Can you believe it?"
Jim "That's great. David and Richard used to wrestling. Do you remember?
Me "Yep. I actually found the newspaper clippings Rich sent me from Bitburg when he won that title in Germany."
Jim "Really? I don't remember ever seeing the articles. Scan 'em and send them to me. I'd like to see them."
Me "Okay."
Jim "So does Sean like it?"
Me "Yeah, he does. Although I'm not sure if he likes the wrestling or the dodge ball they get to play before and after practice. We have to arrive 30 minutes before practice starts so he's right there for dodgeball."
Jim (laughing) "I used to love dodgeball when we played in gym class."
Me "Oh! We aren't allowed to call it gym class anymore or play dodgeball! That's probably why he likes playing it at practice so much."
Jim "I remember the time I was playing dodgeball and (insert childhood friend's name) kept getting me out. I was ticked. So me and (insert other childhood friends' names) ganged up on him. (laughing) We hoarded all the balls on our side of the gym, then we let loose on him. We must've pelted him with about sixteen balls. He had red marks on him the size of grapefruits!"

Me "Hey. We went to Sean's first wrestling tournament today. Actually, Mark had to work, so it was just me, Mom & Dad."
Jim "How'd he do?"
Me "He won his first match with a pin. Lost his second match on points. And then won his third on points."
Jim "That's fantastic! Tell him I said good job. Did you take any pictures?"
Me "Yeah, but I forgot my camera and had to use Mom & Dad's camera. Luckily I caught them before they left the house. I have to say though that it wasn't as interesting as football. I was pretty bored for most of it. It was REALLY LONG! We were there from 9:30 - 3! I was hungry and my butt hurt from sitting on the bleachers by the time we finished."
Jim (laughing) "Stop whining."
Me "Oh sure, easy for you to say - you didn't have to sit there with me. Mom and Dad said it was better than the cheerleading competitions they had to sit through for me, but I'm not sure I believe them because they bailed on me after the second match!"
Jim "I'll be sure to tease them about it when I talk to them next time. Send me some of the pictures. Is Sean there? I want to tell him congratulations."

Me "Hey - we had another match tonight."
Jim "How'd Sean do?"
Me "He won both of his matches. One with a pin. The second one the kid kept crawling off the mat to get the ref to blow the whistle. Wimp!"
Jim (laughing) "Well, Jude, they do that because (insert reason he knew, but I could care less about)"
Me "Yeah, yeah. You and Mark are all over this wrestling thing. I was hungry again and my butt hurt WORSE last night."
Jim "I'm sure Mark appreciated your whining."
Me "Yeah, he was pretty annoyed with me by the end of the night. He told me that he'd handle wrestling from now on. I could stay home."
Jim "You wouldn't really stay home, would you?"
Me "No. Of course not. But now I have to stop whining or he'll leave me home."
Jim (laughing) "Good for Mark. He should leave you home. Next time take your stadium seat that I bought you and pack some food."
Me "Yeah, yeah. Hey, I got some great shots with my camera this time. I got the sequence of pictures where Sean pins his first opponent and where the ref raises Sean's hand signaling he's the winner. Then I've got lots of pictures of that second kid army crawling with Sean on his back to the edge of the mat. Wimp. I'll send them to you."
Jim "I'd like to see them. Put Sean on so I can talk to him."
Me "Okay - catch ya later. Give my love to Rach & Jake. Say Hi to Kate for me."

Just every day conversations. I miss them...a lot.

No comments:

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead