Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A goal

So here's my deal - in case anyone missed it, I'm competitive, very competitive. I like to see how far I can push myself compared to others. In my pursuit of running, I was happy to drag James Robert along with me in the fight for competitive sibling superiority. Here's a typical conversation -
"Hey Jude. I ran X miles this morning at 6am after I fed Jake and put him back to bed."
Judi's brain "Damn. 6am?? Crap, I can't run that early. He's got me."
Judi's words "That's great Jim."
Judi's brain again "Resolve to run X + 1 mile on my next run - if I can't run earlier, I'll run longer."
With Jim went what you might call my "competitive edge." Without my lifelong cheerleader and main competitor, I'm floundering in the push-it department. I decided that I need a reasonable and competitive goal against all I've got left...myself. So here's my pronouncement -
In 2013, I'm going to take my sister-in-law, niece and nephew to Disney World and I'm going to run the Disney Marathon - all 26.2 miles of it - in memory of Jim.
I know you're thinking "2013? Why 2013?" Well, there's actually some thought behind my madness. It will be just a few months over five years without Jim. I told him that five years after he was cured, we'd celebrate by running the Disney marathon together. (He gave me some lame excuses about kids and time to train, but I would've won out if he'd beat the cancer.) We went to Disney World together with my kids in March 2003. Kirsten was 10 and Sean was 5. In January of 2013, when the marathon runs, Rachel will be 9 and Jake will be 6.
So there's my goal - now to sink my "bull-dog" teeth into it and not let go! Let the competition begin.

No comments:

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead