Thursday, February 28, 2008

So here's to my husband

I kiddingly call my husband my own "idiot savant." The man can't seem to remember to take out the garbage every Wednesday, but he can look into the sky and name any plane going by - the manufacturer, where it was built, the type of engines it uses, the airline that's flying it, other airlines that fly it, and a myriad of other details that make my head spin.
Perhaps what attracted me to him...after he got down off the ladder and I took my eyes off his cute 29-year old butt...was his ability to intelligently discuss practically anything the news services could put in front of us. My favorite day of the week is Sunday (as long as it's not a shooting day - then he's out the door, over/under in hand, before I get the first sip of java in!). We've got our coffee, a big old newspaper spread between the two of us, and great conversation.
I usually can keep up with him, but I have to say this time he's got me. He tore through a book called "Saxons, Vikings, and Celts: The Genetic Roots of Britain and Ireland." He would read me passages from it. From how excited he was about it, it sounded like one fantastic book. OH MY GOD - IT'S BORING! It's like reading Genesis 36 or 2nd Numbers where they go on and on about tribes and who belongs to who. And this after reading Jodi Picoult's "The Tenth Circle." I'm trying, I really am. But I stare off into space and think about all the other books on the bookshelf calling to me - "Judi, come read me. I'm fun. I'm an easy read. I won't make you think!"
Hmmm...I believe my friend Melissa needs her "Any Place I Hang My Hat" book back, I'd better switch over to that book, so as to not inconvenience her by keeping it too long. :-)

2 comments:

Big Little Sister said...

The Idiot savant syndrome Mark has he came by quite honestly from his dad. He is so much like his father in many ways, yet so different. Can't deny the genes even though sometimes you'd like to!

melissa said...

I'm sure I need that book back & I've got several other mindless ones to lend! Sadly, I'm not much of an intellectual, but I do admire a great mind. My advice would be put down the Celt's & pick up the Shopaholic series!

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead