Monday, February 25, 2008

No more "Oh, that's too bad."

That was what I said when I heard about someone who died. "Oh, that's too bad." I sent a sympathy card. Sometimes I went to calling hours or the funeral. Then my life moved on.
This past weekend, I heard the sister of one of my high school friends and college roommate, past away from cancer. My faithful words "Oh, that's too bad." never came into my head. Instead, I relived our last few weeks with Jimmy and then the time leading up to the funeral, and this past five months. My heart wept for what my friend will have to endure. It won't be exactly the same as me, but I'm willing to bet that it'll hurt just as much.
I'm sorry for her and her family in a way I never imagined possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow cousin! You sure have been busy! I was on vacation for a couple of weeks and come back to check on you and see that you have been writing and running at the speed of light! Your blog exhausts me and makes me feel a bit guilty about the relaxing vacation that I was blessed with! (well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration!!). It seems that with with your action-packed days you should should be sleeping like a baby at night despite Mark's snoring!

I have a couple of books to recommend. If you're up for something spiritual "The Shack" by William Young is quite thought-provoking. Also, for book club we are ready "The Three Junes" by Julia Glass. It's a good novel about family relationships and I am enjoying the author's style of writing. I'm not quite sure where you'll find the time to read (treadmill maybe?) but I thought I'd mention them anyway!

Hope you're having a good week!
Linda

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead