Friday, March 07, 2008

Haunts from high school

Well, this just stinks. For most any woman reading this, I'm sure you'll identify with parts of today's blog and experienced yourself the clique-based world of high school girls. I certainly did.

Kirsten started playing lacrosse in Jr. High after Uncle Jim got her interested during one of our Easter trip to visit them. Lacrosse was Jim's Spring sport in high school and he loved sharing it with her. Last year, she went out for the JV team and made it. Although Jim was sick, he called to find out about every game and how she did. Mom and I taped a few of the games for him to watch on days he wasn't up to going into work. The HF-L Varsity coach went to school with Jim and he'd asked Kirsten how Jim was whenever he saw her. It was something special she shared with her uncle. Kirsten loved playing and was tickled pink that Uncle Jim was so proud of her.

I could see that it was a tough season for Kirsten. I told her, Jim, & my mom, how proud I was of her for going out for the team. None of her friends were on the team and I knew that at 15, I certainly wouldn't have been a strong enough person to go it alone. It was rougher than I imagined. Lacrosse tryouts began this week and Kirsten ultimately decided she just couldn't stand being on a team where the other girls wouldn't talk to her. It was an awful decision to have to make — it was something she enjoyed and shared with the uncle she just lost. She didn't want him to be disappointed in her.

I know that just about all of us has an experience running up against the clique in high school, but it just broke my heart that this one took something away from my daughter that can't be replaced. Jim's not here to tell her that he understands; that he's still proud of her for just being her; that the best part of sharing lacrosse with her was tossing the ball around together. She has to take my word for it on those things and I hope that's enough.

No comments:

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead