Friday, March 21, 2008

It's not In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

I'm trying to follow doctor's orders and cross-train. It's pretty difficult from the house, as there's only the snow covered road outside and my treadmill inside. So seven weeks ago I signed up for a Pilates continuing education class at the high school. That first night was a hoot - as I watched my muscles shake and fatigue very quickly. Who knew I hadn't used my abdominal muscles since before I had kids 16 years ago???! Seven weeks later, I'm doing pretty well in my Pilates class. I can roll down using my core and can almost roll back up slowly and smoothly...I'll admit there's a little bit of throwing my weight forward to try and get past that first little bit of a lift on the way back up. I like it and signed up for the next session, but it's only one night a week, so I decided to join a gym.

Yesterday, I went with my friend Cheryl and we signed up for a one-month membership to a place called "The Iron Butterfly" in Victor. Then we blissfully wandered ourselves in a "CardioCircuit" class. Oh my god - what a sweaty, out-of-shape, middle-age woman I am! And so helpfully, the room is lined with mirrors, so I get to enjoy watching how sweaty and out-of-shape I am for the entire 45 minutes! I'm certain that once my upper body muscles stop screaming at me for the abuse, that this will be great for me, but right now my head is thinkin' "How in the world can you run 5 miles, but not be able to rotate around a room for 45 minutes alternating between lifting 10 lb or less weights and doing cardio for two-to-three minute intervals?" It's amazing to me, but I can't. Thankfully, my friend Cheryl isn't an über-athlete, so I'm not totally shamed.

Today I'm going to get back on my good old treadmill and give my upper-body a break. Monday we're planning on taking a kickboxing class. I'll remember to put on the compression shorts for that one so the mirror doesn't mock me quite as bad.

No comments:

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead