Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Here's to some wonderful friends

In yesterday's post, I said I had some wonderful friends. However, rereading the post made me wonder if perhaps I had dismissed their importance in my life because they haven't shared all 42 1/2 years of it. So, in alphabetical order, here's a few big THANK YOUS to friends who've helped me through an awful year -

Adam - who lost his best friend to cancer earlier in the year; met me out for coffee several times to listen and share. Adam understands my perfectionist tendencies and desire to remain "strong," so he was the perfect person to listen! He and Charlie also gave me more time off from work to spend with Jimmy than any other employer on the face of the earth would have.

Amy and Brian - my medical reference team and impromptu dinner hosts. Amy and Brian were a medical sounding board for an entire year, and weren't afraid to ask us down to dinner immediately after Jimmy passed away. I don't think I would've bothered to eat that night if they hadn't cooked for us.

Andy - we kid that we were separated at birth about 8 years apart, he continues to be my daily phone therapist! He and his partner, Mark, sent me a gift card to use towards travel costs when I was traveling to see Jim in Wisconsin and to doctor's appts in NYC or Chicago with him & Kate.

Cheryl - who was going through cancer treatments herself, and still asked and listened. It must've been terrifying to hear about another cancer patient losing the battle, but she didn't flinch.

Chris and Ursula - who sent YUMMY Cheryl and Company goodies, and then sat with Sean at the memorial service because he started to cry while I was in the receiving line and Mark wasn't around to comfort him.

Christine - whom I hadn't heard from since after high school, who called me on my cell as I was driving to Jimmy's to say goodbye, who showed up at the memorial service, and who wrote me a beautiful note about her memories of Jimmy and me as siblings. How many of us would've done that after 20 years? Talk about a warm-hearted person, that's Christine.

Jeff and Terry - who sent a beautiful floral arrangement as soon as they found out of my loss, and ask Mark how I'm doing every time they see him.

Lori - who never failed to ask about my brother when we were outside with the kids...always with tears in her eyes showing her pain for me. Lori gave me a lily to plant out near our pool. All summer, I'll be able to look at the beautiful flowers and think of Jimmy.

Melissa - my running and drinking partner, who listened to an entire year of cancer ups and downs as we jogged our way around Lima or over an alcoholic beverage on her deck. And her husband, Russ, - who kept Mark sane and busy with shooting! And who handed us an Exxon/Mobil gift card to help with gas money on our final trip out to say goodbye.

Rozanne - who sent a DVD called "God said Ha!" It made me laugh and cry. I'm now a Julia Sweeney fan.


And here's a few big THANK YOUS to some very important family members who were/are critical in helping me survive!

Auntie Cheryl - who calls and emails me more than anyone else. Auntie lost her niece in a car accident before we lost Jimmy. She'd been through the wringer already and knew how much she was needed in her niece's life for support.

Tonia & Kyrie - Auntie's niece was their daughter & sister. They know the sadness and held out hands of comfort. Tonia gave me a bracelet from Compassionate Friends that says Forever in my heart. I don't ever take it off. I wear it all the time with the one Jeri had made up in colon cancer blue that says "We love you Jimmy"

Aunt Susie - my mom's best friend. An absolute rock for my mom. Thank you for taking care of my mom because I just can't — I'm hurting too much myself. Thank you for driving out to Jimmy's with us for the memorial service. It was the quickest ride ever out there and it was a comfort knowing that you were in the car with Mom & Dad on the way home...they were so tired and I was worried about them driving home alone.

David & Jessica - Poor David...my older cousin, who hears from me at Christmas and the odd family gathering. One day, when Jimmy's chemo wasn't working, I just couldn't handle it anymore and called him. And then I kept calling...but only when I was overwhelmed. David let me lay everything at his feet, then he picked it up and carried it for me for a while. It must stink to be the oldest in an Italian family. I suspect David has to pick up more than just my burdens, but I sure am thankful for him, and his wife Jessica - who lost her sister too, so she knew just what words would comfort.

Jo, Steph & Rick - who stayed with my kids (and dog) just about every time Mark and I scooted out of town to be with Jim. And let me tell you...my kids are unique and a challenge! Especially Sean who won't eat - he's beyond a picky eater.

Linda - who continues to check in with me on almost a weekly basis to tell me she's thinking about me and encourages me to keep chugging along through my grief.

Lynne - who gave more support to Kate and me as we were looking for treatment options and cures for Jimmy than anyone, including Dr. Haid.

I truly am blessed and am thankful for everyone in my life who helps me keep going every day...even if I haven't mentioned them specifically in this post.

No comments:

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead