Friday, April 18, 2008

A very fun last evening

Our last evening in Kohler, we did two really fun things. Kate got tickets to the Kohler Arts Center to see a performance by the Koresh Dance Company. First off, the Kohler Arts Center is phenomenal. The Kohler Arts Center Web site gives you an idea of the phenomenal scope of what this organization brings to the community. We saw a performance mix of ballet, modern, and jazz dance. The first two dances were a bit sexual in nature and both Kate and I started wondering what we'd gotten Rachel and Sean into! But, it turned out to be PG, so we were happy. It was set to some really fun 40s, 50s, and 60s music. All the kids really liked it.

Jim and Kate took me and the kids to the Arts Center the first time we went to visit them in Wisconsin. We saw a drum performance that Sean really liked. Jim asked me how I liked it, and I'll never forget what he said after I told him "Yes, very much." He said: "Kate's amazing. She finds really cool stuff like this wherever we go." He said it with such respect and admiration for her. I have to agree - Kate does find the coolest things to do when we visit. And let me tell you, that's not exactly easy with kids who range from just under 2 years up to just under 16. Rachel told me how her Mom took her to the Kohler Arts Center to see the lassos. I guess there was a guy who did all these lasso tricks. Rachel thought it was just the coolest thing. Kate said after about two minutes, her arm would fallen off twirling the lasso around!

After the performance, we went to Cold Stone Creamery for ice cream. For those of you who've never been to a Cold Stone, it is amazing. They hand-mix all the extras into your ice cream on an ice-cold stone (ha! thus the name). I got the "For Coffee Lovers Only" flavor. Funny, Kate said that was one of Jimmy's favorite's too.

It was a great visit and I miss Rachel and Jake so much already. It's good to be home, but it will be really difficult for me not to see them every day. I saw a lot of Jimmy and me in Jake and Rachel. I also liked being able to help Kate out with some of the little things. Things like taking the garbage out and emptying the dishwasher. When you're the only adult in the house, every time those little tasks need to be done, you're the only one to do them. You look at them and think "Geez, I did that the last ten times, it's not my turn! Can't someone else just do it this time?" It would be nice if the distance between Lima and Kohler wasn't so far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My book club is reading The Peppered Moth by Margaret Drabble this month. If you'd like to read it you can join our discussion electronically perhaps!
Linda

My Bookshelf

Powered by weRead